Local suppliers – local food
Our goal is to be one of the top country hotels in Iceland. In reaching our goal, we want the quality of food in our restaurant to be the best possible and one of the ways to reach that goal is to have the food produced locally and eco friendly, by local farmers and fishermen.
- Our wild Archtic charr, is fished locally from the heath Arnarvatnsheidi.
- Our Cod and sole are brought to us by fishermen on the boat Harpan in Hvammstangi Town.
- Our Beef comes from the local farm Jörfi.
- Our Lamb comes straight from our local farmers. Húnathing is one of the biggest lamb producing areas in Iceland.
- Our Strawberries and herbs come from Skrudvangur green house next door (seasonal).
One of our specialities in Bakki Restaurant, are our homemade Burgers. We get the meat from our farmers and all preperation is made in our kitchen. Our chefs are very happy with the outcome. All burgers are 100% icelandic meat.
- Agnes, our local Lamb burger. Named after the famous local woman Agnes. Last person in Iceland to be executed publicly in 1830 for her crimes. Agnes murdered her lover, true story with deadly emotions, love and hate. The most beautiful drive around Vatnsnes Peninsula takes 1-2 hours with all the local sites from the story, beautiful coast line, rock fomations, seals and the famous Hvitserkur Rock. You can read about the whole tragic story of Agnes in the book Burial Rites.
- Grettir, local Beef burger. Named after the most famous outlaw in Iceland, Grettir the strong from the icelandic Sagas. Grettir was a monster-slaying hero who ended as an outlaw. Living on the island Drangey. If you like natural pools, it´s worth a drive to Grettislaug in Skagafjordur, 1,5 hours. He was born on the farm Bjarg in Midfjordur bay, 5 km from Hotel Laugarbakki.
The menu changes with the season and local availability, please see F.B for current menu